Wednesday 4 January 2012

Learning to learn

I returned to the fascinating world of education having had a good number of years away from formal learning, I soon realised that I had to wake up my brain first! Distance leaning was my method of choice as, like many others I have a full time job, and we all have to keep the wolves from the doors.

Learning to learn again was possibly my biggest challenge.  People often turn away from a subject branding it to difficult, where in reality it is most likely not too difficult,  In actual fact, you have forgotten how your brain retains information.  In order to understand how your brain retains information it is worth considering learning styles and functions of the brain, ultimately determining which type of learner you are.  Both sides of your brain are capable of retention, but in different ways, and depending which side of your brain is most dominent, will determine on your prefered learning style.  The left hand side of your brain is the analytic side  and the right hand side is known as the global side (in very basic terms).  An analytic learner will respond to verbal learning, where as the global learner responds better to visual learning.

Being a distance learner I guess the biggest problem I encountered was the lack of visual learning.  Whether that be classmate interaction or instant feedback from the lecturer.  This was how the idea of a website of this nature came about, a social, interactive, learning environment that is free to use, and everyone is secure and protected in their learning environment.  Whether you are studying for your GCSE's or learning to carry out your own set of accounts as a small business owner, Learnsom is your free resource built by people just like you and I.  Be sure to check it out, make sure that you create an account to be able to explore all the functions and features of the www.learnsom.com

No comments:

Post a Comment